I've been on a roll this week and last completing projects started in days gone by. On Tuesday, both kids and husband were home due to flooding, power outages and the like courtesy of (Hurricane/Cyclone/Superstorm?) Sandy, so the kids and I had some time to spend finishing this Pinterest project we started last week.
I followed the technique described here. We were able to wax about 75 leaves with only a 1/2 block of Gulf Wax (purchased in the canning section of the local grocery store). The waxing process was super simple and the kids found it to be quite enjoyable. [You just have to be prepared for flying wax when the children are involved.] I used button thread and a large needle to string them together.
We collected many leaves from surrounding yards, taking great care to select specimens of different colors, shapes and sizes.
Unfortunately, after a day or two hanging over the hot water radiator in the dining room, most of the leaves changed to a uniform shade of mud, save for a few maples that have retained a pinkish hue. The heat has also caused them to crinkle up a bit. (The leaves hanging on the fireplace mantle have fared a bit better, but have still lost much of their vibrancy.)
I have kept a few additional leaves to spread on the Thanksgiving table. I just hope that what little color that remains in those will hang on for a few more weeks.
I'd rate this project a B+ overall -- it was fun fall craft and certainly easy, but for preserving fall's glorious colors, it fell short of my expectations.
Happy crafting everyone!